Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Catching up...

So Lori requested my input on the crazy catch from last weekends Penn State game. First let me mention that my cousins Todd and Jeff came down for Buffalo for the game. I wouldn't let them cheer for UB in the Penn State student section, but I did let Jeff have his moment when UB took the early 3-0 lead.

The Jordan Norwood - local kid by the way - catch was pretty crazy and I'm still a little skeptical of if he really caught it. I didn't get a great view from my seat and I'll tell you why. Sometimes our quarterback - Anthony Morelli - makes some really bad decisions with the ball. Worse than most quarterbacks. So when he normally lets go of the ball, the student section takes a collective gasp. When he makes a bad decision, the crowd really gets on him. On that throw that Norwood 'caught' I was somewhat distracted by all the funny Morelli shots that I heard around me. I can just remember everyone going from a "what was that" look to celebrating the touchdown. Pretty funny.



I've been meaning to write about the Rockies for a while. They are hanging tough and it is mainly because of - wait for it - the best and most under-rated 'under the radar' player in the league. While Matt Holliday had a little bit of a coming out party at the All-Star game this year, he is not getting the street cred for the incredible numbers he has been putting up. Let's take a look:

Batting Average - .339
Home Runs - 35
RBIs - 127
Runs - 110

That would be first in the NL in batting average and RBIs and fourth in home runs. He's sniffing around a Triple Crown! I raise the beer I'm about to grab out of the fridge to Matt Holliday! And the Rocks are hanging around the Wild Card race, but they're gonna need to be hot down the stretch.

Let's hope the Pokes can turn it around this weekend as the travel closer to me to take on University of Ohio. There isn't much of a chance of me waking up Friday morning and trying to go to the game, but there is a small one!

GO POKES!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the game on Big Ten TV--they showed the replay and the commentators said "of course they'll call this back--it certainly wasnt a catch (the ball hit the ground but his hands shot up in the air as if it never did), and it was pretty inconclusive evidence that it wasnt a catch. We'll take it though

Anonymous said...

oops..i mean conclusive, not inconclusive. It was abundantly obvious in the replays.

Maggie said...

You sound like a sports reporter. How many more home games are there?

Moody Family said...

Love it!!! I miss going to games and listening to the crowd yell at the players. There is nothing that can match an atmosphere like that..... totally agree on the "catch" It was a bit of a sketchy call. You should try to make it to the Cowboys game. None of us will be able to and we need a report from someone that was there. Thanks for the "musings.."

The Breadmaker said...

GO for it Cody !!! In geography...the drive to Athens OH is shorter for you than going from Meeteetse to Dubois to play whatever!!! Also its a bummer that the Rockies won't make the playoffs... ask Dad about everyone making a game at a different stadium each year idea. 2008 Grammy Betty's 80th at Fenway? I am so,so in....

The Breadmaker said...

PS... What about Todd and Jeff? Did they like PSU, where you the good chaperone or the bad influence!!!!

petecobb99 said...

matt holliday is a stud, and next year the rock's make the play-offs!