Monday, July 2, 2007

State College 4th Fest

Ok, here is the deal. The people of State College love their 4th of July. And they like to cap it off with one of the most spectacular fireworks displays around. For those of you that don't know, I'm a pretty big fan of fireworks. Here is some details from the website:

"Close to 11,000 shells are shot during the 45-minute show. The grand finale features over 40 shells a second.....The 4th Fest is the largest all volunteer fireworks display in the nation.The Wall Street Journal ranked the State College show as one of the Ten Largest Displays in the United States in 1999. The Travel Channel and Discovery.com ranked the show #4 In The World in 2000!"


Last year I watched them from the roof of a parking garage in downtown State College. After the viewing I decided that I needed to be much, much closer for this years festivities.

Then I discovered the VIP seating. For $25 you can sit in a special section that includes a view of the coordinated ground show that not many people get to see. Now, 25 bones seems a little pricey for me. So I'm on a quest over the next few days to somehow, someway find a free VIP ticket to the fireworks.

And I need suggestions on all of the ways to increase my chances of getting one....so let's have 'em.

5 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Perhaps you could trade some of your own labor...

petecobb99 said...

or free bird pale?

The Breadmaker said...

There's bound to be some EMS types hanging around where all the action is...tell them you are super interested in what they do and maybe they'll let you chill with them for awhile???

Lynn said...

I don't know how to break this to you, Cody, but you are going to miss the most incredible display of fireworks. If you quickly get into your car you can drive to Strafford and be here for the boat ride to the cove area for the Bow Lake fireworks. The boat usually leaves the dock at 9:00 PM.
As far as your fireworks, you could try to get hired as a fireworks setter-offer.
Not sure how your mom would feel about that though...

Maggie said...

Radio contests? This sounds like a google search to me!!!