Sunday, July 8, 2007

Catching up...

Ok, so there has been a lot going on lately that I haven't written about. So this is kind of a catch-up post.

Last Friday - I guess two Fridays ago now - I took a little trip to the NYC to catch a Yankees game. I got a call a few days before from family friend Jack who said he had an extra ticket. So I hoped in the Corolla and cruised up to the big city. There was so much interstate construction in Eastern Pennsylvania that I spent most of the trip consulting the atlas trying to figure out ways around. I took a couple of small detours on both trips, but don't really know if they saved me any time. But it was certainly better than being stuck in deadlock on the interstate.

The seats at the Yankee game - as shown in the following pic - were really good. The Yankees won 2-1.



Here is another good pic as evening set in over the Bronx.



After the quick trip to the big city, it was time for 4th of July. As my other posts displayed, State College puts on quite a party for the 4th. Upwards of 70,000 people come to town for the events, with the highlight being the all volunteer fireworks show - hands down the best fireworks display I've ever seen. The whole area around the basketball arena and football stadiums are used carnival style, with lots of good - and horrible for you - food to sample. The weather was pretty crappy all day, and we all got rained on more than once. But you can't have a bad time when looking forward to a 45 minute fireworks display.

The day started, however, with the State College Spikes treating us to a horrible display of baseball. The Spikes are a short season Single A affiliate of the Pirates, and they looked like it on the 4th. They committed 3 errors in the first 2 innings. However, they did rally and were able to win with a bases loaded hit by pitch in the 10th. Here are the Spikes celebrating their hard fought - and really anti-climatic - victory.



The 4th was a good time for all of us. Even though Lil Turner had to stay home during the day, I definitely didn't forget about him, and neither did the Spikes. All fans were treated with a free mini flag at the baseball game. Turner was really looking forward to this because he has told me repeatedly that, "No ballpark is complete without an American flag." So he was pretty happy when one of the flags actually made it through the day.



Well that's enough catching up for now. About a week and a half of hard work and I'll be making my way back across the country for some good ole' western fun!

2 comments:

petecobb99 said...

excellent fun!
lil' turner is my new hero...

Moody Family said...

Nothing more American that apple pie and baseball. Very fitting. Another incredible catch for lil' turner