Monday, May 28, 2007

Some Memorial Weekend Hiking

We had some pretty great weather around here for Memorial Weekend. I decided that I needed to take advantage of it and get a little hiking in. So I picked a few hikes out of 50 Hikes in Central Pennsylvania and did one on Friday and another on Sunday.


Friday I hiked Jackson Trail, which is just south of Pine Grove Mills and only about 15 minutes from my apartment. I did a 7 mile loop which consisted of about 3 miles on Jackson Trail, 3 on Mid State Trail, and the last mile straight up to the top of a ridge on Pine Grove Trail. Jackson Trail is a ridge hike that gives some pretty nice views, especially to the south. Besides the extremely rocky trail and the tough uphill ending, it is a nice hike. As I was descending the ridge on Mid State Trail I got a little nervous about the hike back up. And it was a pretty steep climb; I was glad when I started to hear cars on the highway as I got close to the top. It was a little hazy on the day I went, but on a clear day this would be a pretty cool place to go and hang out for a little while if one didn't want to do the whole loop.


On Sunday I drove about 25 miles and hiked around Cherry Run Gamelands. The 50 Hikes book outlined a 10 mile loop, but made it seem like a fairly easy 10 miles. The trail starts by following a mountain stream (Bear Run) for about 4 miles. This knocks out the uphill portion and there are no difficult claims here. About half way through is a wildlife clearing and then a maintenance road that descends till Cherry Run. The trail follows this stream back at your car. The trail begins and ends at slightly different places, so you hike the first half a mile along a paved county road until reaching Bear Run. But you end right at your car, which is nice. As I was about a half mile from the end it started to POUR. That made me really glad I parked where I did and started with the road, rather than ending that way. This was a pretty nice, easy hike that I think would be pretty fun to mountain bike. The only downside is there isn't much for views, as most of the hike is through some pretty thick forest.
I put an album of the pics on took on Picasa.

6 comments:

gardenboy said...

I have used a 50 Hikes in VT book before. It had some great hikes in it. Sounds like you had a good time. Did you go alone? Are there many areas to go hiking close to where you live?
Have you stopped by to see Johnny's new blog?

amy said...

Love the pics Cody. Sounds like you had a good little Memorial Day weekend!

petecobb99 said...

those are some great shots...sounds like some good hikes

The Breadmaker said...

Great pictures Cody ! I loved the one of the pink shrub( an Azalea perhaps?). But my favorite is the one of all the green moss on the rocks! Moss has a pretty tough time in Wyoming! Glad to hear you are getting some time to enjoy the outdoors in PA!

Moody Family said...

I agree, amazing pics. Definately different than Wyo. I guess beautiful in a different way. It sounds like so much fun and a perfect way to spend a long weekend.

gardenboy said...

thanks for putting your slideshow up. I really enjoyed your pics.