Monday, May 14, 2007

the birds and the beers

I know that I have been slacking some on the posts lately. But in my defense, the last stretch of the semester was really busy....I'm thinking the words 'intellectual chaos' are an appropriate fit. But that's really no excuse. So here are a few small updates.

Batch #2 was brewed on Sunday. Thanks go to The Beermaker for passing on a recipe for a pale ale. As such, naming rights are reserved for said Beermaker, so you might want to do a little brainstorming. I'm a fan of alliteration when it comes to names, so keep that in mind. We were very pleased with how the first batch turned out, so hopefully this one won't be a step in the wrong direction. One of the things that I really like about the brewing is that my apartment smells like a brewery for a few days afterwards. There is something so aromatically pleasing about the balance of sweet malted barely and strong bitter hops. I guess it is also the memories that it stirs - of the countless times our house back home had that same smell and all the good times that I've had in breweries. But is it really possible to have a bad time somewhere that beer is made?


I've also recently welcomed some new neighbors. For all that haven't been to State College and thus my place, I live at ground level and have a little patio area out back, and there is a balcony above. I had noticed a bird flying around there quite a bit lately. This morning when I went out to have some breakfast in the beloved rocking chair that I found on the side of the road in Laramie, I understood why there had been so much recent bird activity - a new family had arrived. The little guys have been chirping all day. Lucky for them I can't hear it - at least yet - when I'm inside. Maybe I can talk them in to contributing to the rent a little bit during their stay. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a very good picture. You can kind of see the momma bird in the top of the hole, but only if you know - like I do - that she's there. And I only know because as soon as the flash went off she came screaming out of there.
And I can't end without a late shoutout to my great mom. Happy mothers day to Ma Warner! Sorry mom, I forgot to mail your present again today....you might have it by your birthday.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

What kind of birdies do you have? Maybe that will help you name the beer.

gardenboy said...

Perhaps something like "Swallow Ale"?