Wednesday, May 23, 2007

EVERYONE is concerned

The price for a gallon of gas has hovered around $3 here in State College for a while. With the upcoming Memorial Holiday the price is likely to increase with all of the extra travel. So, like most parts of the country, people here are pretty concerned about the price hike for gas.

But I didn't realize how many people were concerned around here until I was I walking out of the gym yesterday and overheard a conversation between two girls about how expensive gas was around here. Now normally this wouldn't be a conversation that I would find surprising. However, I don't think that either of the two girls had reached double digits in age. Shouldn't they be more concerned about........well I don't really know what they would be concerned about. Maybe unicorns and tea parties, but definitely not the price of gas.

It all reminded me of a very funny comment made by a US Appeals Court Judge in a trademarks case I read for a class last semester. Circuit Judge Frank (in Triangle Publications v. Rohrlich) said: "As neither the trial judge nor any member of this court is (or resembles) a teen-age girl or the mother or sister of such a girl, our judicial notice apparatus will not work well unless we feed it with information directly obtained from "teen-agers" or from their female relatives accustomed to shop for them."

While I am not, nor have I ever been, an 8 year old girl, I would think they have better things to worry about than the price of gas.

1 comment:

Moody Family said...

I sure wasn't thinking about gas prices at that age. But, now it is a common topic in our household and has even caused us to cut down on travel a lot. For now, we keep our car parked most days.