Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A musing on technology....

Like most people (I think), I'm reminded on a daily basis about how far technology has come. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of technological advances - Google pretty much runs my life these days - but this time of year always sparks a memory of something lost to technology. See in Meeteetse, Wyoming things came about a bit slower. People cannot believe it when I tell them that I never saw MTV till college and I can remember receiving VHS recordings of the Simpsons via Stuey in Syracuse.

However before the Internet made this particular practice obsolete, this time of the year marked maybe the most frantic 30 minutes the Warner household would experience all year. Over hand make brackets, and later simple computer created printouts, we would sit down on Selection Sunday and scramble to get all 64 teams filled in correctly. Between the necessary griping over whatever seed Syracuse received and frantic scribbling on brackets, this 30 minutes really contributed to the Madness that is March. So while now moments after the Selection Show you can print out a complete bracket, I kind of miss those frantic minutes helping my dad get all 64 teams down.

Feel free to post other aspects of life lost to technology...

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Remember pay phones? Or having to go to the library to do all of your research because the internet was non-existent. Inpatiently waiting for pages to load on dial-up when the internet finally came. Rushing film to the store to get it developed to see how it turned out, and then realizing that most of the pictures suck. Struggline with cassette tapes to find the song you want.... fast forward, rewind, flip, etc. I write one check a month now because everything else is electronic. I think we could all go on forever....

Maggie said...

Oh yeah... and speaking of video recordings, remember Dad recording SNL for us and we would watch it Sunday mornings?

petecobb99 said...

Trying to watch baseball or hockey games when you couldn't even see the ball or the puck...

cee.dub said...

Remember when Fox tried to do the 'glowing' hockey puck that had a blue tail for a pass and a red one for a shot...what a horrible idea. No wonder they don't cover hockey anymore.

petecobb99 said...

i remember our first computer: the apple 2e, cost grandma and gramdpa something like 3500 bucks to buy for us...now your cell phone can do more than that one!
and one of my early fave computer games: bolo on our old mac