Sunday, April 29, 2007

No gel for you!

Iran recently baned Western haircuts and eyebrow plucking for men. I wonder what they consider a "Western haircut?" Does the mullet count? What might happen if you walked into a barber shop in Tehran, sat down in the chair and confidently asked for business in the front and party in the back?

In other news, for those of you that didn't know, the first batch of homebrews is disappearing fast. Between splitting it with co-brewmaster Houle and wanting everyone in State College to try one, it is starting to seem unlikely that there will be any left over to crack during the next brew session. We were lucky to come away with a good beer this time being that the instructional video by Midwest Supplies noted the necessary first step to brewing is having a homebrew. My idea to keep a few around till then is to put a couple "somewhere I'll be able to find them later" as this ensures I won't be able to find them for a while. Last week I was sure that I lost my debit card. I called PNC to order a new one - a $7.50 replacement fee - sure it was gone. When they asked if I wanted the option of waiting a few days to see if it would turn up I told them it didn't seem like much use and to go ahead and send out a new one. Sure enough, the next morning the card 'appeared' in the pocket of my jeans.

Oh well...one final note about the beer. We decided to call the first batch the 'Branch Campus Bitter' in honor of our good friend Phil who made a hilarious comment - that I can't seem to remember - about branch campuses during a Super Bowl commercial. The branch campus is a foreign idea to people from Wyo, as we only have UW and a handful of community colleges. But Penn State seems to have them everywhere. I think there is one under the sink in my bathroom.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

I want a Branch Campus brew. Is CMC considered a Branch Campus?

gardenboy said...

I guess Barry Melrose should not get his haircut over there.

cee.dub said...

you know what's funny is that i did a google image search of barry melrose and couldn't find a good enough pic to post with the mullet comment!

Moody Family said...

The mullet is a true classic. What other haircut can offer business and pleasure in one. Now if we could only multi-task more in other areas. I think I might have to get a mullet.

Zack and Jenny said...

I don't think the mullet is considered a "western haircut." I'd call it a southern haircut. One solution to the problem is that the mullet goes by so many different names, surely a suitable Arab name could be found for it. Any suggestions?

petecobb99 said...

i'm not in the mood for a mullet, but i am in the mood for a bc brew...